Sunday, April 11, 2010

The book of love has music in it



Just finished reading this phenomenal book I stumbled across in Shanghai. It's called The History Of Love and it's written by Nicole Krauss. It's a story mainly about an old man living in New York, who lost the love of his life when he was 20 years old and had to escape from Poland when the nazis invaded. The story in itself is a bit slow, not directly filled with action and stuff going on all the time, but the way it's written... wow. The life of the old man is so tragic and dull, but she makes it sound so poetic beautiful and humoristic at the same time. She fuses together words and sentences in such a way it just seems like the words themselves were created with the purpose that some day they would be written together.

"After the day when I saw the elephant, I let myself see more and believe more. It was a game I played with myself. When I told Alma the things I saw she would laugh and tell me she loved my imagination. For her I changed pebbles into diamonds, shoes into mirrors, I changed glass into water, I gave her wings and pulled birds from her ears and in her pockets she found feathers, I asked a pear to become a pineapple, a pineapple to become a lightbulb, a lightbulb to become the moon and the moon to become a coin I flipped for her love, both sides were heads: I knew I couldn't lose."

In some way, this book showed me that loving someone from afar, without that person knowing it, is among the most beautiful thing someone could ever do.

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics